Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Happy Belated Summer Solstice!



Just in case you were unaware, yesterday was the Summer Solstice, which is the day of the year with the longest period of daylight, blah blah blah, some science stuff, blah blah. Anywho, I can't believe I keep forgetting to mention the fact that Starbucks now has vegan options for frappuccino lovers! I used to love those icy treats once in awhile, and now I get to have one anytime I want since you can get soymilk in the mix. I sampled a caramel soy frap (no syrup or whip) on my way to Georgia last month and it was just as tasty as I remember...aahhhh...those will come in handy during these hot summer months! Alright, here is some yummy food I made....



Tempeh Sloppy Joes



Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Total Time: 30 min


Servings: 6


Ingredients:


• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• ½ cup onion, diced
• 2 8 oz. packages of tempeh
• ½ cup green bell pepper, diced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 cup tomato sauce
• 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce (I use Agostino’s)
• 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
• ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
• ½ teaspoon ground coriander
• ½ teaspoon dried thyme
• ½ teaspoon dried oregano
• ½ teaspoon paprika
• ¼ teaspoon sea salt
• ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper


Directions:


1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes while it softens.
2. Crumble the tempeh into the skillet and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
3. Add green pepper and garlic and cook another 2 minutes.
4. Add tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, molasses, cumin, coriander, thyme, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Eat, drink, and be merry!


Notes: This is a different twist on the standard sloppy joes. It’s full of protein from the tempeh and tastes great on whole wheat hamburger buns. I had mine on a piece of Ezekiel sesame toast...yum!

Next.....

BBQ Oven Fries



Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 40 min


Servings: 4


Ingredients:


• 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 6 tablespoons vegan barbecue sauce (I used Jack Daniels No.7)
• ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
• ½ teaspoon paprika
• ½ teaspoon ground cumin
• 3 baking potatoes


Directions:


1. Preheat the oven to 450 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Mix olive oil, barbecue sauce, pepper, paprika, and cumin in a large bowl.
3. Cut each potato lengthwise into 8 to 10 wedges. (The smaller the pieces, the crispier they will get in the oven)
4. Place the potatoes in the bowl with the sauce and mix well. Place the potatoes on the baking sheets in a single layer.
5. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes, turning halfway through.
6. Eat, dink, and be merry!


Notes: These are an easy and tasty little addition to any meal. Plus a healthy dose of Vitamin C from the potatoes. And face it, who doesn't love fries???

And finally....

Balsamic Beans



Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Total Time: 15 min


Servings: 4


Ingredients:


• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 lb. frozen green beans, thawed


Directions:


1. Mix soy sauce and balsamic vinegar in a bowl and set to the side.
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet and add green beans and garlic and cook over high heat for 5 minutes or until the beans start to brown.
3. Lower the heat the medium and add soy sauce and vinegar and simmer until the liquid reduces, about 5 minutes.
4. Eat, drink, and be merry!


Notes: This is a really fast and easy way to eat your green beans, which are a good source of Vitamin A. This is also one of my favorite go-to veggie side dishes.


**Product Review**

I wanted to share with you a product I've recently tried, Kiss My Face Moisturizing Shave Cream. This was one of the most moisturizing creams I've tried, and it made for a really close shave. I tried lavendar and shea, but they have a variety of different scents. But this is the best part: This product contains no animal ingredients, artificial colors, or unnecessary chemicals and was not tested on animals. As with all of my beauty and cleaning products, I try to only buy from companies who do no animal testing.


And finally, here is a delicious and somewhat healthy milkshake I concocted


All amounts are approximate as I just kind of test it as I go:
3/4 cup ice
1/2 cup almond milk
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 squirt vanilla
1 squirt agave nectar
Put it all in the blender and whiz around until it reaches your desired consistancy...yum!!

In honor of the season, I leave you with this lovely quote from a lovely song (ironically titled Winter Song) from two of my favorite songstresses, Ingrid Michaelson and Sara Bareilles
"I still believe in summer days,
The seasons always change,
And life will find a way." 

4 comments:

  1. Everything looks great!! There's a vegan restaurant down here in Naples now:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It absolutely does my favorite red head....life that is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. BBQ fries ... yes please! And to the Summer Solstice ...so spiritual. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tanya..what is this vegan restaurant called, where is it, and can we please go next time I come visit????? I think there is one in Cape Coral that I've heard of it but I can't remember the name.

    ReplyDelete