Saturday, June 26, 2010

Tastes like December

That's because I made gingerbread pancakes! Yum! Here is the recipe for these tasty delights....



Gingerbread Pancakes



Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes


Servings: makes 12 smallish to medium pancakes


Ingredients:


• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• Pinch of sea salt
• 2 tablespoons evaporated cane juice
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon ginger
• Sprinkle of nutmeg
• Sprinkle of cloves
• 1 cup almond milk
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses


Directions:


1. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix the wet ingredients in a small bowl. Combine all ingredients and mix until most of the lumps are gone.
2. Heat a non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Scoop about ¼ cup of batter into the pan. (I can usually fit 3 or 4 at a time)
3. Cook until bubbles start to form on top, then flip and cook for a few more minutes. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
4. Eat, drink, and be merry!


Notes: I drizzle mine with some Grade A real maple syrup…you gotta splurge for the real stuff…sorry Aunt Jemima. Feel free to play around with the amounts of spices. I went heavy on the cinnamon since it’s my favorite spice, but lighter on the nutmeg and ginger since they are not my faves.

There was just enough batter left over to make 3 mini pup-cakes. He loves him some pancakes!

Onto the next recipe....

Check out my bountiful harvest for this dish!

Ratatouille Wraps



Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Total Time: 30 min


Servings: 6


Ingredients:


• 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1 medium eggplant, diced into ½ inch cubes
• 2 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise then thinly sliced crosswise
• 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
• 1 yellow onion, cut in half then thinly sliced
• Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• Pinch of sea salt
• 1 lb. tomatoes, chopped
• ½ teaspoon dried thyme
• Whole wheat tortillas


Directions:


1. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the eggplant and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
2. Add 2 more tablespoons olive oil along with zucchini, red pepper, onion, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring, for about 6 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes and thyme, partially cover, and let cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Remove the lid and simmer for just about another 2 minutes.
5. Place a tortilla on a plate and place as much of the veggies you can fit into it, and wrap it up.
6. Eat, drink, and be merry!

Notes: Ratatouille is a traditional French veggie dish…it’s also a very cute Disney Pixar movie. I think next time I’m going to add some marjoram and perhaps some carrots. These veggies would also be good served over brown rice.

A nice helping of veggies before they got all wrapped up.


And I made the BEST salad in the history of salads to go with it.....
This was just some pre-packaged Spring Mix greens, cucumber, light red kidney beans, raw pumpkin seeds, and the following delicious dressing....

Cumin Vinaigrette



Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 0
Total Time: 5 min


Servings: 12


Ingredients:


• 1/3 cup lemon juice
• 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1/3 cup vegetable oil
• ¼ cup water
• Pinch of evaporated cane juice
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 2 teaspoons paprika
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• Pinch sea salt


Directions:


1. Combine all ingredients in a jar with a tight fighting lid. Shake well. Chill in refrigerator before serving.


Notes: Yum! I halved the amounts here since I didn't need 12 servings of salad dressing, although I did still use 2 cloves of garlic since I LOVE it.


This went perfectly with the above meal. I love me some Sam Adams.

Check out this awesome food and water stand type thingy my dad made for Barney. Raising their dishes off the ground is supposed to aid in digestion...come to think of it, he has been burping a lot less lately....
I'm very impressed with the craftsmenship..bravo Bob!

Lots of exciting things happening around here folks. I just signed a contract the other night to purchase my first home! It's new construction so it won't be ready until October probably, but then I can finally move out of this crapartment and be a real grown up with a mortgage and everything! Also, I'm in the process of working with the Boston Terrier Rescue of NC on finding the right dog for me...so Barnes will be getting a brother or sister very soon hopefully!!

I rented a bunch of movies, When In Rome (thought it was pretty cute) and It's Complicated (great movie..highly recommend it!) and I have one more to watch. Hope everyone is having a fantastical weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment